There are some days where I just don’t feel like eating meat, so I love whipping up new vegetarian recipes to try which keep me on track to achieving my health and fitness goals. I have always been a fan of Falafel, so having a healthy version is epic when I get cravings for it!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and as always, let me know what you think!
Servings: 4, 2 falafel balls per serving
- 1 cup cauliflower, rice (just process the cauliflower in a processor until you get 1 cup- usually takes 1 small head)
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sifted coconut flour
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup rocket
- 2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Tahini sauce
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt, to taste
- Make the falafel; process the cauliflower until you have coarse crumbs. Transfer the cauliflower into a large bowl, and add the ground almonds. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Heat 1-inch olive oil in a non stick pan. While the oil is heating, shape the prepared mixture into eight patties.
- Cook the patties 3-4 minutes per side, without moving.
- Remove the patties to a paper lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Make the sauce; combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach, rocket, and cucumbers. Top with warm falafel.
- Just before serving drizzle all with prepared sauce.